Thursday 11 September 2014

Imrpoving My Vocal Techinque

One of my targets for theatre is to speak from the front of my mouth as I speak from the back for my mouth however as an actor it is very important I learn how to speak at the front so I can project my voice better. these are some tongue twisters to help me.


Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked. If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, Where's the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?


Bobby Bibbit bought a bat. Bobby Bibbit bought a ball. With the bat, Bob banged the ball,
Banged the ball against the wall.





Also, to speak from the front of my mouth I have been trying to teach myself the Alexander Technique. The Alexander technique helps you:



Gain and maintain poise no matter your activity.
Prevent habits of excess tension.
Increase breathing efficiency.
Move with greater ease.
Speak with a clearer, stronger voice.
Achieve a permanent feeling of openness.
Break performance habits.
Reduce the chance of vocal, back, and other injuries related to posture and poor movement.

Their are 5 ways to improve my vocal technique that I believe I help me not just this term or for the career in acting but in day to day life:

Vocalizing:

To do this method you have to speak as if a hood is going over head and think of your voice coming from the top of your head. At first I struggled with this so I put on my hoodie and every time I spoke I would put hood over need as it ways controlling my voice. I found this helped a bit however I do need to practice more in order for me to improve my voice technique. Try not to speak from chin when do this, I didn't realise but I do this in everyday life and it is such a bad habit I have picked from friends as I have never realised how when you are around others you tend to start to speak like them.

Breathing:

Another really important method is breathing which I didn't realise this until I was researching vocal technique and a lot of breathing was evolved. you to able to breath efficiency you have to enjoy exhaling as this can help you breath for longer and not in short bursts. this will help with my monologue as it is just me on stage the examiners will be able to know if I am out of breath during the performance. If I do become out of breath I am effectively breaking character in my opinion as my character has no need to be out breath. Also, you need to make sure you are not focusing on the inhale as this tends to shorter the exhale. Therefore, you need to get to know your breathing to fully make breaths effect on stage.

Posture:

Posture is a really important as one of the basic positions of acting is neutral and you need good posture for this. I leant that the Alexandra method uses a metaphor by describing your body as  fountain and how the a fountain is open. this made me feel taller and more open which felt wired as I don't stand like this normally how I need to get use to it and this is the basics of being an actor. I think to improve my posture I could do yoga on a weekly basic so when I'm in neutral its feels more normal.


Ease Of Movement

At first I didn't really this technique however reading over it a couple of times and trying out for myself made me understand it a bit. to do this method you have to think as if your body as bow or spring so it bend more to make you feel lighter. I think this skill is going to be the hardest for me as I'm going to have to change my habits in how I stand and how I walk.


Feeling Grounded:

To do this you have to place your feet together and try to feel as if you are rising up from the floor. I think at times I do this while we warm up and sometimes in character how I need to be able to do this without thinking about it.  



Overall I don't really see the Alexandra Technique as a 'technique' in a way as I think its a way of life as an actor should do all these things naturally without thinking about it. I think this technique will take some time to learn and I will need to do more research in it to understand it in depth
 however, with time and practice I think I will able to do these techniques with thinking about it.










No comments:

Post a Comment