Thursday 11 September 2014

Monologue From Otherwise Engaged By Simon Gray

(From page 57 Act 2)


Beth; 


You know the most insulting thing, that you let me go and on being unfaithful without altering your manner or your behaviour one-one- you don't care about me, or my being in love with some else, or my betraying you, Good God! least of that! But you do wish I hadn't actually mentioned it, because then we could have gone on,  at least you could, pretending that everything was all right, no, not even pretending, as far as you were concerned, every-thing was all right- and - and- you've- you've - all those times we've made love, sometimes the very same evening as Ned and I- and yet you took me- in your usual considerate fashion , just as you take your third of a bottle of wine with dinner or your carefully measured brandy and your cigar after it, and enjoyed it all the more because I felt guilty, God help me guilty and so tried harder for your sake - and you admit that, no not admit it, simply state it as if on the difference made by an extra voice or something in your bloody Wagner- don't you see, don't you see that makes you a freak! You're -you're - oh, damn! Damn. Damn you. Oh, damn.


I would love to do this as my monologue for this term because I have read the play and I really enjoyed reading it. I really enjoyed reading the play as it made me really feel something for Beth and Simon as Beth knows their is a problem in the marriage and wants to divorce Simon for another man however Simon thinks this is normal to live like this and would much rather live like this than live alone. I think I would really play Beth well, as I can understand where she's coming from. and I really feel for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment